Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Recent Stuff...

Hi there! I thought it was time to check in here just to share a few things I've been working on lately in my creative zone (more like Twilight Zone?).  I came across these fabric baskets on one of the blogs I follow and learned that the pattern was available for free at the Robert Kauffman site. The designer's name is Anna Graham.


These are super easy and fun to make. The use of heavy fusible interfacing (Pellon 71F) give the tray and bowl a rigid structure. The addition of leather tabs or handles attached by rivets adds a nice finishing touch. Really, you don't want to skip this step!

 

I ordered an inexpensive riveting kit from Amazon which has a setting tool and a package of rivets in two finishes. Very easy to do. There are several resources online with tips for setting rivets but the kit comes with all the basic instructions you need. I had some leather scraps on hand to use to the handles; it doesn't take much.

So, I also made some painted papers to use for an upcoming project. I used Tyvek, which you can buy in large sheets at some art supply stores. You can also re-use Tyvek envelopes--or get lucky finding some around building sites as it's what they use to wrap the outside of homes before siding. Anyway, it takes paint well and is very tough. Will let you know how it works. The fabric at the top is by designer Marcia Derse; will be using this on my project, also.


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful Suzanne! Baskets and paper are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Suzanne! Baskets and paper are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it all, especially the Marcia Derse fabrics. I have made similar fabric using soy wax as a resist and dyeing with Procion MX dates. I just love to muck around, and I love to see the unpredictable results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! Dyeing fabric is so much fun...but Marcia's are pretty close to the real deal. Indigo is on my "to do" list.

      Delete
  4. I like your fabric choices in your baskets. But my fave thing is . . . I just love,love,love your paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debi! You are the master of paper decorating so I'm very flattered you like mine so much. :-)

      Delete
  5. Those bowls are so CUTE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great fabric baskets....
    click it...: http://www.weaveron.com/

    ReplyDelete